Protected areas in Tanzania
Protecting biological diversity and natural or associated cultural resources for the future.
As part of Tanzania’s wildlife conservation strategy, certain areas of land or sea have been declared as protected areas by the President of Tanzania after consultation with the relevant authorities. These areas are specifically protected for maintenance of biological diversity, natural or associated cultural resources and managed through legal or other effective means. Special rules and regulations apply for these areas, e.g. related to settlement, tourism, hunting and other activities. Depending on their status, the areas are divided into four categories.
Game Reserves are categories of wildlife protected areas which are declared for the purpose of conservation. Both consumptive and non-consumptive wildlife utilization are allowed after permit has been obtained from the Director of TAWA. No human activities are allowed, unless, with permit granted by the Director of TAWA.
List of game reserves
- Biharamulo, Burigi and Kimisi Game Reserves
- Ikorongo Game Reserve
- Kigosi Game Reserve
- Kijereshi Game Reserve
- Liparamba Game Reserve
- Lukwati and Piti Game Reserves
- Lukwika Lumesule and Msanjesi Game Reserves
- Lwafi Game Reserve
- Maswa Game Reserve
- Mkungunero Game Reserve
- Moyowosi Game Reserve
- Rungwa, Kizigo and<br/>Muhesi Game Reserves
- Uwanda Game Reserve
- Rukwa Game Reserve
- Selous Game Reserve in Tanzania
- Swagaswaga Game Reserve
- Ugalla River Game Reserve
Game Controlled Areas
A Game Controlled Area is an area declared for conservation of wildlife outside village land where activities detrimental to wildlife are prohibited.
List of game controlled areas
Wildlife Management Areas
A Wildlife Management Area is an area set aside for purpose effecting community based wildlife conservation in village land outside protected areas which are used by local community members.
List of wildlife management areas
- Burunge Wildlife Management Area
- Ikona Wildlife Management Area
- Ipole Wildlife Management Area
- Magingo Wildlife Management Area
- Makame Wildlife Management Area
- Makao Wildlife Management Area
- Mbarang'andu Wildlife Management Area
- Mbomipa Wildlife Management Area
- Nalika Wildlife Management Area
- Ngarambe-Tapika Wildlife Management Area
- Ukutu Wildlife Management Area
- Uyumbu Wildlife Management Area
- Wami-Mbiki Wildlife Management Area
Ramsar Sites are wetlands of international importance which advocate wise use principles.